Tribes and Kingdoms
Big and strong, powerful and brave, the Saxons wave their battle axes and brandish their swords as they begin to invade Britain's shores.
Sail back to the Dark Ages where battles were rife and fear reigned. Find out about the life of the Saxons, including how they lived and where they came from.
Are you ready to shine a light on the dangerous and deadly Dark Ages?
Home Learning tasks:
- https://ttrockstars.com/login (children have individual log ins in the front of their learning logs)
- https://www.mymaths.co.uk/ (children have individual log ins in the front of their learning logs, work will be set and updated every Wednesday)
- https://www.getepic.com/ (children have their class code in their learning log: sla1517)
Welcome to Year 4!
A very warm welcome to the Year 4 class page. It is here where you can find out all about the daily routines of Year 4 and catch a glimpse of some of our wonderful work. This Summer Term we will be learning about the deadly dark ages from to the first arrival in Britain to the death of King Alfred and the Norman conquest with our exciting history topic 'Tribes and Kingdoms'.
Read on to find out what else we will be learning about in the Summer Term. There are also links and ideas to help support learning at home.
Children will learn about the following topics:
- New life- Through learning about Pentecost, we will be able to ask and respond to our own and others' experiences of Good News bringing life, as well as making links to show how feelings of sadness and joy and the belief of good in others affects our behaviour.
- Building bridges- Through exploring the Good Shepherd and the sacrament of reconciliation, we will understand what breaks and mends a relationship, and make links to show how feelings and beliefs affect our behaviour in maintaining relationships.
- God's people- Through learning about saints and martyrs such as Oscar Romero, we will explore how ordinary people can do extraordinary things.
- Islam- Our world religion topic will explore holy books such as the Qu'ran and its importance for Muslims, as well as the 99 beautiful names of God.
Your child will be tested 3 times each week on their times tables.
Children will be given an opportunity to practise and attempt to beat their score.
Times Tables Rockstar logins will be in their reading record so that children can practise at home too.
The year 4 age related expectation is to recall and use multiplication and division facts up to 12x.
This term will be learning about the following topics:
- Measures- money and time
- Geometry- properties of shapes
Please try to listen to your child read every day for 10 minutes. This should be followed by a discussion of the text. Please then update your child’s reading record book each time you hear them read including books they choose from home. You can record aspects they found difficult or if they particularly enjoyed it. Please ensure your child’s reading book and record are in school every day so we can hear your child read as often as possible.
In English this term we will be reading the following books and films:
- The Sleeping Sword
- Anglo-Saxon boy
For the Year 4 Curriculum objectives in reading, writing, spelling and handwriting which your child will be working towards across the year, please click the link below.
Year 4 will become experts in the use of classification keys to help group, identify and name a variety of living things. We will learn about the 7 characteristics of a living thing (MRS NERG/MRS GREN). We will also sort living things in a number of ways and make a classification key to identify local invertebrates. We will then study how their environments have changed and what can we do to help them.
Our topic this term is 'Tribes and Kingdoms'. We will be incorporate this topic into our writing as well as having a school trip to enhance our learning.
Please scroll to the bottom of the page to see the creative curriculum overview for the Summer Term.
Our homework will take the form of Learning Logs which will be given out on Friday, to be returned the following Thursday. Homework can be presented as drawings, writing, models etc. It is completely up to the children how they show their understanding. If you would like more information, please come and see me or look at the following website - www.learninglogs.co.uk
Daily homework will consist of practicing spellings, times tables and reading for at least 5 minutes from the home-school reading books.
At Holy Family, we recognise the importance of home-school partnerships. We are always so thankful for the support we receive. Please do not hesitate to ask if there is anything we can do to help support your child. Likewise, if there are any concerns please contact a member of the Year 4 Teaching Team.
Each Wednesday the children will be given spellings which will be tested the following Wednesday.
Year 4 will have a PE lesson every Wednesday. Children will need to have their full PE kit.
Reading books and diary's need to be in school everyday, please listen to your child read daily for 10-15 minutes and sign their dairy.
Practice their times tables including 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 11 multiplications and divisions.