From nothingness came chaos; from chaos came air and water; from air and water came life! Discover a fantastical world full of mythical creatures and legendary heroes. Poseidon, Apollo, Artemis and Zeus reign almighty over Mount Olympus, watching over mere mortals on dusty Athenian streets.
Learn what it was like to grow up in Ancient Greece through the beginning of democracy, to the fierce battles of Salamis and Marathon. Be a Greek detective and discover which words have sneaked into our language over hundreds of years!
Year 4 Home Learning tasks:
- https://ttrockstars.com/login (children have individual log ins in the front of their learning logs)
- https://www.mymaths.co.uk/ (children have individual log ins in the front of their learning logs)
Welcome to Year 4!
A very warm welcome to the Year 4 class page. It is here where you can find out all about the daily routines of Year 4 and catch a glimpse of some of our wonderful work. This Autumn Term we will be learning about an ancient civilisation with our exciting history topic 'Groovy Greeks'.
Read on to find out what else we will be learning about in the Autumn Term. There are also links and ideas to help support learning at home.
Children will learn about the following topics:
- Family- We will look at the pattern and ideal of family life found in the Scriptures. We will understand how God is the loving parent of the human family and Jesus was born and lived in a human family.
- Called- We will realise our lives are marked by many different experiences of being welcomed into new situations and groups. We recognise the importance of welcome, of feeling comfortable with new situations and belonging to new groups.
- Gift- We will understand Advent is a time when we appreciate the love in our lives and prepare to celebrate love becoming a reality in the person of Jesus. We will celebrate the gift of Jesus, given by God as a sign and expression of God’s love.
Your child will be tested 3 times each week on their times tables.
Children will be given an opportunity to practise and attempt to beat their score.
Times Tables Rockstar logins will be in their reading record so that children can practise at home too.
The year 4 age related expectation is to recall and use multiplication and division facts up to 12x.
This term will be learning about the following topics:
- Number: Place Value
- Number: Addition and Subtraction
- Measurement: Length and Perimeter
- Number: Multiplication and Division
Please try to listen to your child read every day for 10 minutes. This should be followed by a discussion of the text. Please then update your child’s reading record book each time you hear them read including books they choose from home. You can record aspects they found difficult or if they particularly enjoyed it. Please ensure your child’s reading book and record are in school every day so we can hear your child read as often as possible.
In English this term we will be reading the following books and films:
- Orchard book of Greek myths: Icarus and Daedalus, King Midas
- Horrible Histories: Groovy Greeks
- A visitor’s guide to Ancient Greece
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
For the Year 4 Curriculum objectives in reading, writing, spelling and handwriting which your child will be working towards across the year, please click the link below.
Year 4 will learn all about electrical circuits and how to test materials' ability to conduct electricity. We will put our knowledge of circuits on display by building our own circuit to create a buzz-wire game. Then, using our games to try to defeat a challenger. Who can remain ‘disconnected’ on the game? We will need to impress with our electrical knowhow.
We will also become experts in States of Matter! We will develop and showcase an understanding of all areas of states of matter, including how materials can change from one state to another, through a large range of simple practical enquiries.
Our topic this term is 'Groovy Greeks'. We will be incorporate this topic into our writing as well as having a school trip to enhance our learning.
Please scroll to the bottom of the page to see the creative curriculum overview for the Autumn Term.
Our homework will take the form of Learning Logs which will be given out on Friday, to be returned the following Thursday. Homework can be presented as drawings, writing, models etc. It is completely up to the children how they show their understanding. If you would like more information, please come and see me or look at the following website - www.learninglogs.co.uk
Daily homework will consist of practicing spellings, times tables and reading for at least 5 minutes from the home-school reading books.
At Holy Family, we recognise the importance of home-school partnerships. We are always so thankful for the support we receive. Please do not hesitate to ask if there is anything we can do to help support your child. Likewise, if there are any concerns please contact a member of the Year 4 Teaching Team.
Each Wednesday the children will be given spellings which will be tested the following Wednesday.
Year 4 will have a PE lesson every Wednesday. Children will need to have their full PE kit.
Reading books and diary's need to be in school everyday, please listen to your child read daily for 10-15 minutes and sign their dairy.
Practice their times tables including 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 11 multiplications and divisions.